Friday, January 7, 2011

we'll get by with a little help from our friends.

After doing some quick research on cancer diets and the like, I reached out to my friend, Anna of Calling All Dogs Utah, last night. She is not only a great trainer, but she is someone I consider an expert on canine nutrition and supplements. It is a shame she lives in Utah, I think we could cause a lot of trouble together.

Anna reconfirmed what I had been reading - feed the dog, starve the cancer. For a cancer patient, the worst thing you can do is feed the cancer. Cancer thrives on grains and sugars. A grain-free approach is the best bet for a dog with cancer. Anna is also big advocate of a prey-model type of raw diet. It basically consists of meat, bone, and organ meat. It embodies the "cancer diet" of high fat, high protein, no sugar(think Atkins for dogs). I have fed a raw diet to all of my dogs before, so I am somewhat familiar. I am not sure prey-model will be right for Hope based on my guess of what her teeth probably look like. Anna thought patties or medallions of raw were probably a good option, coupled with some bones if her little teeth are up to it. Raw marrow bones are great for cleaning teeth.

We also spoke a little bit, okay a LOTTA bit, about supplements. The quick retort was that she definitely needed to go through a detox program and then be supplemented with an immune blend to help fight the cancer and add some anti-inflammatory into the mix. A few favorites thrown out were Tasha's Detoxifier Formula and Berte's Immune Blend - both from B-Naturals. Azmira's Yucca Intensive will add to the mix for anti-inflammatory benefit, along with some chinese medicine. Herbsmith's Immunity Support came on the top of the list. Anna was quick to note that fish oil should still be included in her diet - 2000mg per day - which is basically 2 capsules. I was concerned that it was a high dose(that is what I feed my large dogs per days) but for therapeutic levels it is a necessity.

So, the preplanned regiment will be as follows:
Days 1-4 - Detox formula, Yucca, Fish oil
Days 5+ - Detox, Yucca, Fish Oil, Herbsmith, Berte's

I'm looking into raw sources for her. Our local pet supply place, The Hungry Puppy, carries a few brands. At 4lbs she isn't going to cost much to feed so I'm happy to pay for quality. She'll also need drops and smidgens of the supplements so we may be stocked for life around here after this initial buy.

So today's shopping list, as I am still in Denver on vacation, is to find the Herbsmith local(I found a store listing online) and possibly stumble upon the Azmira Yucca Intensive in the same shop.

Thank god for friends.

Actual Hope update: A temporary foster was found for her and so she is OUT of the shelter until Sunday. That puts my mind at ease a lot until I can get my hands on her myself. The PSPCA said she has an eye issue going on and she'll be coming with eye ointment, but I think that's the least of our worries.

4 comments:

  1. I would recommend Stella and Chewy's frozen patties for her - while for a healthy pup I don't stress about salmonella, etc, Stella & Chewy's is extra careful about food-borne contamination. http://www.stellaandchewys.com/safety.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg. We didn't go with S&C's for a reason or two.

    The risk for raw is actually more dangerous when chemotherapy is added to the mix. We're going to go with dehydrated, organic food for now that I found at a local store in Aurora!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news to hear she is out of the shelter!

    They need to get us, okay you, some new pictures pronto ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny you know Anna at CAD, I live in Salt Lake City and work with Anna on occasion. Small world!

    Melissa (aka woofslc on Flickr)

    ReplyDelete