Monday, March 7, 2011

the ideal diet? maybe.

As I type, Hope is sitting between my legs obsessively licking our couch. That is her favorite hobby, licking things. She has a borderline OCD with licking things, in fact. She licks whenever it is time to 'settle down'. At night, she licks for at least 10-15 minutes. She will lick the sheets, blankets, couch, my laptop, my pants, my arm - you name it. If you try to prevent her from licking by distracting her, she cries. I am not sure what to do there quite yet. One thing at a time.

Hope is very attached to me - and I to her. With her recent diagnosis of the "Big C" we are prepared to go the long haul with her. We haven't actually spoken about it, but Chris and I both know that this is destiny. It is extremely hard to adopt out a dog that bites, let alone one with health issues - let ALONE one with CAN---. We don't really speak the C word in the house. Mommy gets very upset.

On another note, I would like to share what Hope has finally decided is "her diet". We are feeding Primal Buffalo Grind(hearts, organ meat, bone) - .2-.3oz in the morning. Yes, .2oz is right. She also gets 1oz of ground buffalo meat three times a day. She isn't as boney as she was when we got her and the weight she has gained is what I would call "good weight". The last weigh in on Friday at her at 5.4lb!!

To prepare these tiny amounts of food we use a scale. I line it with waxed paper and then wear latex gloves to handle the meat to avoid contamination. I then spoon little 1oz portions onto the scale, check the weight, then transfer it to a cookie pan lined with clean waxed paper to freeze in smaller lumps. For the grind of organ and bone I fork pieces onto the waxed paper in the same fashion but then I drop it onto the cookie sheet and smash it with a fork into a flat cookie type form. This is a little time consuming but I can get a lot of lumps and cookies out of a chub of frozen raw food so we don't have to do it more than once every 2 weeks. It's also a "zen" process for me.

The supplements that Hope is currently on are pictured here:

We follow the 1/4 1/4 1/4 rule - 1/4 teaspoon of each of these tubs, twice a day. I've mentioned them before - B-Natural's Berte's Immune Blend and Herbsmith products. I'd testify to the effectiveness of any of these. They have really helped Hope a lot to overcome her mange.

Final dish before smashing the supplements in:

We rarely have an issue getting Hope to eat at this point. Sometimes she will balk but heating it up a little bit more usually does the trick for her. It is MUCH easier than 99 kibbles, canned foods, etc that she eventually refuses.

We heart raw.

2 comments:

  1. what an amazingly lucky girl to have you in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is going both ways, Patricia.

    ReplyDelete